In Italy, the Cervantes Institute in Rome organized a public bilingual reading of the Spanish literary masterpiece, Don Quijote de la Mancha, from Saturday 21 to Monday 23 April. Having chosen cultural diversity as the main theme of the Day, the Italian National Commission for UNESCO, organized a round table on the problem of book squandering.
Similarly, while the Canadian village of St. Martins launched the ‘St. Martins Booktown Initiative’, the Swiss Book Lobby organized a national campaign called 'Switzerland is reading’, which included a full set of initiatives and events designed to promote reading.
On Monday 23 April, the House of Catalonia in Paris celebrated St. Jordi’s Day, the day of the patron saint of Catalonia. The institute opened its doors offering books, roses and tapas from Catalonia to visitors.
The UNESCO Office in Mexico, in collaboration with the Universidad Popular Autónoma del Estado de Puebla, organized a series of conferences, expositions, concerts and lectures. In the city of Mérida, Yucatán, the association Bibliotecarios del Sureste presented the play, The Vagina Monologues, by Eve Enseler.
As ever, the UNESCO Castilla-La Mancha centre informed us about the various activities that took place in Spain and Argentina, such as the “Festival Cervantino” in Azul, in the province of Buenos Aires.
Toronto University chose “books and women writers” as the central theme of the Day.
On Monday 23rd April, The National Library of Albania organized the inaugural opening of the exhibition “Scanderberg, the first rare collections 1473-1830”.
Many other UNESCO partners celebrated the Day, such as:
- The Porto nursing school library, Portugal
- The Czech newspaper Grand Biblio
- The Puiseux public library, France
- The François-Delaplace junior high school, Terville, Quebec, Canada
- The Saint Henri grammar school library, Moncton, Canada
- The Portuguese National Commission for UNESCO
- The Curaçao Public Library, Netherlands Antilles
- The Nebula Group Limited, an educational English learning platform in Hong Kong