International Campaign for the Safeguarding of the City of Hué
The aim of the international campaign to save the city of Hué is twofold:
1. The restoration and presentation of the historic monuments within the imperial city of Hué and the royal mausoleums outside the city, and the protection of their environment;
2. The revitalization of the traditional arts and crafts of Hué's artisans, so as to give them new impetus.
Description of the site
Citadel (Kinh Thanh)
Built between 1802 and 1846, the Citadel is virtually divided in two by the Royal Canal (Ngu-Ha), so that the Imperial City and the Forbidden Purple City, the one lying within the other, are separated from the rest of the complex.
Imperial City (Hoang Thanh)
Mainly built between 1805 and 1846 it covers 37.5 hectares and measures 622 metres by 606 metres. The main gateway, the South Gate, was used by the sovereign alone. Inside is an open space on one side of which, beyond two pools, stands the Throne Room.
The various causes of the deterioration of the buildings
Protecting the environment to assist the conservation of the Imperial City