||UNESCO Implementing Mauritius Strategy
| ||UNESCO at Mauritius '05|
| ||From Barbados'94 to Mauritius'05|
| ||Participation Programme|
|UNESCO's Participation Programme is designed to provide direct assistance to initiatives undertaken by Member States in the Organization's fields of competence, in line with priorities determined by the countries themselves, with proposals submitted via UNESCO National Commissions.
As an ensemble, Participation Programme projects touch on many of the technical fields and areas of concern addressed in the Barbados Programme of Action and the Mauritius Strategy. Many of these projects relate to education and capacity building, as reflected in this sampling of projects approved and carried out in the 2002-2003 biennium.
- Antigua & Barbuda. Development of craft education programme. Study grants for teacher training and information technology.
- Aruba. Training of education leaders for educational reform. Computer software for remedial teaching of instruction-language.
- Bahrain. Improving teaching skills at intermediate levels. Upgrading educational management information system. ICT applications in education. New trends in textbook design and strategies for quality assessment.
- Barbados. Training of teachers for upgrading education in the culture of peace. Educational programmes for marginalized youth.
- British Virgin Islands. Support to tertiary studies in law at the University of the West Indies. Study grant in teachers education.
- Cape Verde. Training for teaching of deaf learners. Basic education for poor young people and adults in literacy and vocational skills for income generation. Support to participation of secondary school students in Mathematics Olympiad. Training of three archivists in modern records management techniques. Computers for the Department of Educational Sciences of Higher Education Institute. Exchanges between Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau for developing UNESCO/IUPAC project on microscience experiments. Workshop on multicultural education for peace.
- Comoros. Promotion of citizenship education in schools and the national media.
- Cuba. Support to International Pedagogia Conference. Reinforcement of process of 'internationalization' of Cuban universities.
- Cyprus. Training on quality reforms in education. Evaluation and revision of mathematics textbooks, including seminars for elementary school teachers. Approaches to preventing school failure, drop-out and social exclusion for secondary school youth.
- Dominica. Non-traditional skills development for disadvantaged rural and suburban women. Intensive training course for developing indicators for educational planning and decision making.
- Dominican Republic. Regional meeting of school children and teachers taking part in Sandwatch project.
- Fiji. Experimental mathematical and information technology skills workshop (Capacity building project for science teachers). Media education for Fiji.
- Grenada. Craft training programme for persons with disabilities. Pre-vocational training for pupils leaving primary level. Enhancing the delivery of electricity/electronics curriculum in secondary schools. Building interest, enthusiasm appreciation and understanding of science in pupils. Production of environmental education videos.
- Haiti. Post-literacy pilot project in the commune of Leogane. Upgrading of teaching staff, setting up of a chorale and provision of instruments for the musical school of Marmelade.
- Jamaica. Cataloguing of video archives held in the university, for broad educational purposes within the region. Support to international network of quality-assurance agencies in higher education. Training in information technology for college lecturers and students.
- Maldives. Development of educational tools at interactive science centres. Training of adult and continuing educational personnel. Establishing a mechanism for the monitoring of learning achievement in primary schools. Development of a reading-material package for literacy programme. Development of an advanced certificate in distance education.
- Malta. Diagnosis and treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) and assessment of its impact on educational outcomes. Pilot study on setting up a practical marine biology course at the University of Malta. Support to training in environmental impact assessment.
- Mauritius. Advisory services for renewal of curricula at secondary level, within the context of reform of the overall education system in Mauritius. Testing of new scheme in pre-vocational education. Pilot project on use of child's mother tongue (Mauritian Kreol) as medium for learning in lower primary classes. Raising the standard of learning process and achievement and improving the quality of primary education in 'Education Action' areas. Training of personnel for special needs. Opening of libraries in six secondary schools to the general public. Development and implementation of an assessment scheme for citizenship education in upper primary schools.
- Netherlands Antilles. Non-formal education for young people. Provisioning of computers for primary schools.
- Palau. Promoting local-area network among private high schools. Librarian certification programme. Research and development of educational materials on watersheds of Palau.
- Papua New Guinea. Training programme in skills development for disadvantaged youth.
- Samoa. Technical and vocational education for out-of-school youth. Extending disability services to rural areas, for providing education at the village level. Promoting literacy in primary education through diversification of delivery systems. Purchase of bilingual books for all Samoan schools. Meeting of teachers and coordinators involved in Associated Schools Project Network in the Pacific.
- St Kitts & Nevis. Promoting arts education, particularly through music. Helping young people to appreciate and understand the fundamentals of science and its impact on society. Mathematics summer camp for primary school pupils. Promotion of continuing education and skills training for rural adults. Raising the status and attractiveness of technical and vocational education. Establishment in St Johns of a community library.
- St Lucia. Seminar on community and private primary and secondary education in English-speaking Caribbean countries. Workshops for teachers and coordinators of ICTs at regional secondary schools in St Lucia and Dominica. Support to training of teachers for eradication of illiteracy in primary schools. Youth empowerment and apprentiship programme.
- St Vincent & the Grenadines. Advanced training in educational planning and management. Empowering the underprivileged through the use of community-based information technology. Improving the quality of education by empowering teachers to integrate ICTs into curricula.
- São Tomé & Principe. Reinforcement of literacy campaign for young people. Support to educative radio at school/community levels. Boosting special-needs education.
- Seychelles. Enhancing the capacity of central education services through information technology. Advanced training in educational planning and management. Support to school improvement programme. Promotion of literature in the mother language.
- Tokelau. Feasibility study on internet connectivity and distance education. Providing a homework centre with necessary capacity for enhancing educational learning. Continuing education and training for school-leavers and adults.
- Tonga. ICTs for distance education, through providing linkages between the Ministry of Education and overseas educational institutions and universities. Provision of science equipment for Ha'apai High School. Regional meeting for establishing a regional qualifications framework. Strengthening national capacity for the management and administration of Tonga's education system. Emergency assistance for Ministry of Education. Natural disaster preparedness and prevention for primary school children. Strengthening data base capacity in educational planning units.
- Trinidad & Tobago. Developing a multi-media information centre and automated registry at the local depository for UNESCO publications in Trinidad & Tobago. Advanced training on educational costs, finance and budgeting. Teachers training workshop for refreshing 'the spirit of learning and teaching'. Using music to empower disadvantaged youth. On-line instruction for teachers of students with disabilities.
- Tuvalu. Caring for and educating people with disabilities. Upgrading of skills of crafts-people. Skills training for women. Leadership training for youth.
- Vanuatu. Pre-school improvement programme. Training programme for disadvantaged youths. Capacity building in technical and vocational education and training.