Loading media information
You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
. This page was captured on 18:06:07 Jan 16, 2016, and is part of the UNESCO
collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions
of this archived page.
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
Dialogue among cultures
In a world where no country is entirely homogenous, demands for recognition of different ethnicities, religions, languages and values are increasingly arising. There is an urgency of developing a sense of respect for the Other that will provide a basis for mutual understanding, friendship and learning. Cultural diversity and heritage are vectors of identity and tools for reconciliation.
Based on UNESCO’s Constitution and the various resolutions adopted by the Executive Board and General Conference, the promotion of dialogue in the service of peace – in order to build “peace in the minds of men” – is one of the main themes of UNESCO’s mission. Globalization and the emergence of new contemporary challenges and threats to humankind make the need for dialogue among peoples ever more topical.
A principal objective of a dialogue is to bridge the gap in knowledge about other civilizations, cultures and societies, to lay the foundations for dialogue based on universally shared values and to undertake concrete activities, inspired and driven by dialogue, especially in the areas of education, cultural diversity and heritage, the sciences and communication and media.
UNESCO and the UN Alliance of Civilizations
Regional Summits of Heads of State and Government of South East Europe
- Address by Mr Hans d’Orville, Assistant Director-General for Strategic Planning of UNESCO, on the occasion of the Alliance of Civilizations’ Regional Conference for South-East Europe; Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 14 December 2009
Download the speech here
- Report by the Director-General on the implementation of the programme adopted by the General Conference
Download document (pdf)
- Report by the Director-General on the follow-up to decisions and resolutions adopted by the Executive Board and the General Conference at their previous sessions
Download document (pdf)
- International Forum on "Music and Environment"
Organizer: Melody for Dialogue Among Civilizations Association (Official Website)
Start date (local time): 01-10-2009 9:30 am - End date (local time): 01-10-2009 5:30 pm
- “Communication of Heritage: A New Vision of South East Europe”
Start date (local time): 06-06-2007 9:12 am - End date (local time): 06-06-2007 9:12 am
© UNESCO 1995-2010 - ID: 37084