Many science-related UNESCO Chairs were established at Ukrainian universities, and it is involved in various earth sciences research projects.
The East Carpatians Transboundary Biosphere Reserve is shared by poland, Slovakia and Ukraine. Together, the 3 countries created the Foundation for the Eastern Carpathians Biodiversity Conservation (ECBC) to support transboundary cooperation in managing their shared Transboundary Biosphere Reserve.
Below you can access the projects that are currently being implemented in the country within the framework of UNESCO’s Natural Sciences Sector.
- World Water Assessment Programme (WWAP) Danube River Basin case study More
- Northern European Flow Regimes from International Experimental and Network Data (FRIEND) More
People, Biodiversity and Ecology
- Biosphere Reserves (WNBRs)
- Sustainable Use of Platinum Group Elements (IGCP, Project 479)
- Au-Ag-telluride-selenide deposits (IGCP, Project 486)
- The Rheic Ocean: Its origin, evolution, and correlatives (IGCP, Project 497)
- Global correlation of A-type granites and related rocks, their mineralization, and significance in lithospheric evolution (IGCP, Project 510)
- Fluvial Palaeosystems: Evolution and Mineral Deposits(IGCP, Project 514)
- Karst Aquifers and Water Resources (IGCP, Project 513)
- Coastal vulnerability related to sea level change (IGCP, Project 515)
- Black Sea-Mediterranean Corridor during the last 30,000 years: Sea level change and human adaptation (IGCP, Project 521)
- Low-temperature thermochronology: applications and inter-laboratory calibration (IGCP, Project 543)
- UNESCO Chair in Cryobiology, established in 1998 at the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine More
- UNESCO Chair in Ecology of a Technogenous Region, established in 1997 at Donetsk State University More
- UNESCO Chair in Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience, established in 1999 at the National Academy of Sciences, International Centre for Molecular Physiology,Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology More
Science policy and Sustainable Development
- UNESCO Chair on Renewable Energy and Sustainable Development, established in 2006 at The V. I.Vernadsky Taurida National University, Simferopol More
Renewable and Alternative Energy
- UNESCO Chair in Environmentally Clean Technologies, established in 2000 at The Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University More