UNESCO, together with other UN organizations, invites you to celebrate the International Day of Persons with Disabilities on 3 December 2020, to raise awareness on challenges faced by people with disabilities during periods of crisis.
When: Thursday, 3 December 2020 – 15.00 p.m. – 18.00 p.m.
Where: Online Webinars on ZOOM
This year's theme is "Building back better: towards an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post COVID-19 world by, for and with persons with disabilities".
People with disabilities are disproportionately affected by the health, social and economic consequences of the global COVID-19 pandemic. This year's theme emphasizes the importance of strengthening collective efforts for universal access to essential services, including immediate health and social protection, education, digital infrastructure, accessible information, employment and other socio-cultural opportunities. Persons with disabilities are not to be left behind in times of crisis.
UNESCO will mark the day with a week-long programme from 25 November to 3 December 2020.
Since the global COVID-19 outbreak, UNESCO has been at the forefront of the response to the pandemic, encouraging education systems to remain open and accessible to all. Global school closures due to the pandemic represented an unprecedented risk to children’s education, protection and wellbeing. In addition, educational responses to the crisis have not always reached the most disadvantaged or been adapted to their needs. The suspension of a face-to-face formal and non-formal education, including vocational, technical, cultural, sport and physical activities, has also been extremely rapid around the world. In this context, it is important to support the application of digital technologies for the empowerment of learners with disabilities and capacity building for their teachers.
The theme will be explored during the following events:
- International Symposium on “Ensuring the right to quality inclusive education for persons with disabilities” (25 – 27 November 2020)
- Webinar “Disability inclusive response for COVID-19 through Open and Distance Learning” (3 December 2020, 15.00-16.00 CET).
- Webinar “Share your Story for Development" on UNESCO´s project “Story for Development” supported by the Nippon Foundation, invites panellists to share their stories of empowerment. By sharing a story, persons with disabilities will motivate those who are in a similar position or face similar challenges to make their voices heard by wider audiences and learn about the key enabling factors which played an important role for the empowerment of person with disabilities.
- The webinar “Share your Story for Development" will be accompanied by a social media campaign “Tell our story–enable our rights" following us #DisabilityDay #IDPD #ThisAbility
The event is open to the public, and particularly to persons with disabilities, their friends, family, and colleagues. Your participation in this important event will enhance the celebration of persons with disabilities as empowered agents of change.
Please register to the webinars:
- Webinar “Disability inclusive response for COVID-19 through Open and Distance Learning”
- Webinar “Share your Story for Development”
The programme of the 3 December 2020 event
Follow us #DisabilityDay #IDPD #ThisAbility