UNESCO launches worldwide consultations on the preparation of the Global Action Plan of the International Decade of Indigenous Languages (IDIL 2022 – 2032).
Today, UNESCO is launching an online survey for the preparation of the Global Action Plan of the International Decade of Indigenous Languages (IDIL 2022-2032). All stakeholders are invited to submit their comments by 11 December 2020.
The online survey, available in English, French and Spanish, will facilitate a global consultative process for the drafting of the Global Action Plan and set a path for a decade of action for indigenous languages and their users.
The preparation of the Global Action Plan for the IDIL2022-2032 is an immediate response to the implementation of the United Nations General Assembly Resolution (A/RES/74/135). The IDIL2022-2032 is one of the key outcomes of the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages (IYIL2019). One of the first steps in the preparatory process for the organization of the International Decade is the preparation of a Global Action Plan to ensure international cooperation and a joint and well-coordinated action at all levels. The IDIL2022-2032 is a unique opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of indigenous languages for sustainable development, peace-building and reconciliation in our societies, as well as to mobilize stakeholders and resources around the world to support and promote indigenous languages worldwide.
The online survey is structured around multiple sections, namely:
- Strategic approach
- Guiding Framework
- Implementation Guidelines
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Financial sustainability
- Regional consultations
The online survey was prepared on the basis of the Los Pinos Declaration [Chapoltepek] and input received from the Ad-hoc Group for the Preparation of the Global Action Plan for the International Decade of Indigenous Languages (IDIL2022-2032) that includes indigenous experts and representatives from different regions, and the members of the Steering Committee for the follow up to the IYIL2019.
UNESCO, as UN lead agency for the IDIL2022-2032, will also facilitate the organization of other regional and thematic consultative meetings later in 2020 and throughout 2021, in order to identify specific considerations that may be included in the plans over the decade. Following the consultations, a finalized version of the Global Action Plan should be presented to the upcoming sessions of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (2021 and 2022) and at UNESCO governing bodies meeting in 2021.
Be a part of strategic planning by sharing your ideas for the preparation of the Global Action Plan for the IDIL2022-2032!
- Online survey on the Global Action Plan of the IDIL2022 – 2032 English | French | Spanish
- Rights of indigenous peoples, Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 18 December 2019 A/RES/74/135 [on the report of the Third Committee (A/74/396)],
- Seventy-fourth session, Agenda item 67 (a) (UNGA)
- Strategic Outcome Document of the IYIL2019
- High-level closing event of the IYIL2019 “Making a decade of action for indigenous languages” (27-28 February 2020, Mexico City, Mexico)
- Los Pinos Declaration English | Français | Español
- English https://en.iyil2019.org/
- Français https://fr.iyil2019.org/
- Español https://es.iyil2019.org/
IYIL2019 Social Media
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/IYIL2019 @IYIL2019
- Twitter https://twitter.com/IYIL2019
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/indigenouslanguages/https://www.in...https://www.instagram.com/indigenouslanguages/
- Hashtags #Indigenouslanguages #WeAreIndigenous