When :from Wednesday 16 March, 2022 13:00 to Wednesday 16 March, 2022 13:00
Manager :Mrs Lily Gray / firstname.lastname@example.org
Type of event :Category 8-Symposium
Where :United States of America
Contact :Mrs Elisabetta Caporaso / email@example.com
This virtual event, to be held on the margins of the 66th session of the Commission on the Status of Women, will offer an intergenerational space for dialogue on how to ensure inclusive and quality education for all girls in Sub-Saharan Africa, in particular by:
- examining the gender dimensions of the impact of climate change on girls’ and young women’s education in different contexts, including its repercussions on the 12-year goalpost for education;
- highlighting how 12 years of education for girls can be achieved in fragile and climate-affected contexts in sub-Saharan Africa, including by systemically mobilizing financial resources to achieve this goal;
- analysing how Education for Sustainable Development is being included in educational curricula across sub-Saharan Africa and effectively equipping women and girls in sub-Saharan Africa to become agents of change;
- facilitating knowledge exchange on the collective, intergenerational and sustained actions needed to limit the impact of climate change on girls’ education, so that all women and girls can contribute to building a more sustainable future; and
- making a contribution to the upcoming HLPF’s in-depth review of SDG 4 (Education), SDG 5 (Gender Equality), SDG 14 and 16 (Life Below Water and on Land), SDG 17 (Partnership for the Goals).
The event is organized by the Permanent Mission of Italy to the United Nations, in cooperation with UNESCO, UNICEF, UN Women, and cosponsored by the Permanent Mission of Niger to the United Nations, the Permanent Mission of Kenya to the United Nations, the Global Partnership for Education, the United Nations Foundation, and the Office of the Special Coordinator for Development in the Sahel.
Register here to join the live discussion
Watch the event on UN Web TV