Website Privacy Notice
UNESCO is committed to protecting personal data in line with its Principles on Personal Data Protection and Privacy.
This Privacy Notice explains how UNESCO uses the personal data we collect from you when you use our main website, eg. unesco.org or official UNESCO pages on other sites and digital platforms.
What data do we collect?
UNESCO collects the following data:
- Personal identification data you directly provide Name, email address, phone number, postal address, function/position, organization, country of residence and other relevant information depending on the context.
- Data generated by your activity: Log information such as Internet protocol (IP) address, navigation behaviour through the website, device and software used, the time/date/duration of your visit, and other similar information and parameters related to your operating system and computer environment.
How do we collect your data?
We collect data and process data when you:
- Register for events, subscribe to newsletters or make a purchase.
- Voluntarily complete a survey or provide feedback on any of our message boards or via email.
- Voluntarily complete a crowdsourcing form.
- Use or view our website via your browser's cookies.
How will we use your data?
In some circumstances we make your data available outside UNESCO, such as for:
- Analytics: We use third-party services Google Analytics, USA
- Payment processing: We use a third-party service, PayPal, USA
- Email communications: We use third party services Mailchimp, USA
When UNESCO processes your purchase, it may send your data to, and also use the resulting information from, credit reference agencies to prevent fraudulent purchases.
How do we store your data?
UNESCO securely stores your data at UNESCO Premises (Paris, France) or on cloud services used by UNESCO. Your data will not be published for general access nor disclosed or sold to third parties. UNESCO, however, assumes no responsibility for the security of this information.
Data you provide directly is typically kept until either (1) you unsubscribe from the service requested or until (2) two years after your last transaction. We store data about your activity on our websites for 11 months, after which time it is deleted. We keep data on email activity for 24 months after which time it is deleted.
|Cookie bar||Cookie-agreed||.www.unesco.org||3 months|
|Alert banner||Hide-banner||.www.unesco.org||Closure of browser|
|Google Analytics||_gid||.unesco.org||1 day|
|Google Analytics||_ga||.unesco.org||2 years|
|Youtube||YSC||.youtube.com||Closure of Browser|
Links to other websites
Our website contains links to other websites. Our Privacy Notice applies only to our website. For example, we link to our accounts on a number of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or content on third-party websites and encourage you to read the privacy notices of other websites you visit.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
We will revise or update this Notice if our practices change, or as we develop better ways to keep you informed about them. Please refer back to this page often for the latest information and the effective date of any changes. If we decide to change this Notice, we will post a new Notice on our website and change the date at the bottom. Changes to the Notice shall not apply retroactively.
How to contact us
You may request access to your personal data in order to verify its accuracy and may request correction. To do so in connection with your use of this website please contact email@example.com.
For any other questions regarding the processing of your personal data, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
date: 11 April 2022