Dramatizing HIV and AIDS, Dominican Republic
12 August 2009
In the report we present the activities undertaken during the months of January, February, March, April, May and July 2009.
During this time, we have conducted activities that are established in our work plan. The coordination team meetings, the meeting for project evaluation, coordination with schools, the culmination of the theatrical script, some test sessions, theatre presentations in schools.
During these months the youth have strengthened their technical drama skills and increased their knowledge on the issues of HIV and AIDS.
Summary of activities in the period:
During these months, we conducted the following activities:
1. Creation of theatre script: The script was a collective effort from the youth theatre group. It is about the life of a young man who has unprotected sex while knowing the methods of prevention and the couple is diagnosed HIV positive. He reflects on his life and changes his behaviour and lifestyle. The Cayenas Cultural Foundation assisted greatly in this activity.
2. Rehearsal meetings: Twelve (12) sessions were held to allow the participants to learn the script and positioning on stage.
3. Feedback workshops: The Cayenas Cultural Foundation facilitated two theatre workshops focusing on acting techniques and basic techniques of improvisation.
4. Theatre performances: Four performances were made at Philadelphia Christian School, Cristo Rey High School in Rosario Sanchez, Villa Duarte and the Lyceum Dominic Savio Parish, in the shirkers. After each presentation there is a discussion session for the audience to ask further questions concerning the issues presented such as HIV, AIDS, STIs, condom, prevention, etc.
5. Evaluation meeting: In these meetings young people have evaluated the design process, expressing their emotions and feelings during and after the presentations. Suggestions are made concerning their involvement in the project.
- Dahina Odeisy Delgado and Maria Medina
Full progress report available only in Spanish [PDF 206Kb]
<< More information: Cuido mi vida, Cuido tu vida, República Dominicana (available only in Spanish)