The first GAML meeting focused specifically on building consensus on a pragmatic approach to generate comparable measures for Targets 4.1, 4.2 and 4.6 by building on existing efforts and knowledge.
The second GAML meeting focused specifically on the:
- Implementation of the SDG 4 global and thematic indicators;
- Methodological work underpinning the proposed versions of the International Code of Practices for Learning Assessments, the Global Framework for Reference, and the UIS Catalogue of Learning Assessments;
- Developments related to the learning scale; and
- Next steps for GAML and recommendations to the Technical Cooperation Group for SDG 4–Education 2030 Indicators
The third GAML meeting focused specifically on the:
- Governance structure which basically includes a small Secretariat hosted by the UIS, a strategic planning committee and a series of Task Forces responsible for technical recommendations that are submitted to the plenary for endorsement;
- New tools being developed to better capture data from different types of learning assessments, as well as frameworks and guidelines to help countries assess and strengthen the quality of their assessment activities; and
- Methodological work underway to produce Indicator 4.1.1: the percentage of children and young people achieving proficiency in reading and mathematics.
The fourth GAML meeting focused specifically on the::
- Received updates on UN and Education 2030 processes regarding development indicators, as well as recommendations regarding reporting and capacity development with identification of the action items that have implications for the GAML work programme;
- Discussed and endorsed GAML governance and priorities in organization and communication;
- Reviewed and endorsed measurement strategies for each of the learning- and skills-related indicators under the responsibility of GAML;
- Discussed and approved the conceptual, methodological and reporting frameworks for Indicator 4.1.1; and
- Finalised the learning outcomes and skills-related inputs to be integrated in the report that will be prepared by the Technical Cooperation Group on SDG 4–Education 2030 Indicators (TCG) to the Education 2030 Steering Committee with a detailed “work plan for each target together with an assessment of resources needed to fund the finalisation of the conceptual, methodological and operational work on the global indicators”.
The fifth GAML meeting focused specifically on the::
- Receive updates on UN and Education 2030 processes and the Technical Co-operation Group’s fourth meeting (TCG 4) regarding development indicators, as well as recommendations regarding reporting and capacity development with identification of the action items that have implication for GAML work programme;
- Receive updates on the different GAML activities and the progress of indicators from the Secretariat and the different Task Forces;
- Review the progress of the GAML work plan;
- Discuss and endorse the GAML work plan in order to report to TCG 5; and
- Assess and make recommendations on country implementation of learning assessments and skills’ measurement and endorse capacity development measures for countries.
The Sixth GAML meeting focused specifically on the::
- Receive updates on the UN and Education 2030 processes as well as the work of the Technical Cooperation Group on SDG4 – Education 2030 Indicators (TCG);
- Discuss alternative linking strategies for reporting on indicator 4.1.1;
- Assess and make recommendations on criteria to develop learning targets;
- Exchange on challenges in reporting and validating learning assessment data as well as using data for policy making;
- Deliberate on the work of the GAML actions to support capacity development.