This working group is composed of the Global Alliance to Monitor Learning (GAML), whose goals and tasks are to improve learning outcomes by supporting national strategies for learning assessments and developing internationally comparable indicators and methodological tools to measure progress towards key targets of SDG 4.
So far, the GAML has focused on the development of methodologies for learning outcomes indicators with a special focus on Indicators 4.1.1, 4.7.4 and 4.7.5. Although there is still a need to continue working on the methodological aspect, there is also a need to fill the data gaps with information already produced by the countries through learning assessments.
The key issues related to the availability and use of learning assessments are:
- Low coverage for some indicators.
- Data is underutilized for providing measures of indicators other than learning outcomes (e.g. teacher characteristics, school characteristics).
- Finalize guidelines for measuring SDG targets using learning assessments.
- 4.6.1 Adult literacy and numeracy proficiency
- 4.7.4 and 4.7.5 on global citizenship and sustainable development skills
- Information on teacher qualifications, language of instruction, school environment and other indicators.
- Finalize the methodological developments for all learning outcome indicators.
- Complete the definition of the minimum (or adequate) level of proficiency or for the remaining indicators