The UIS is the statistical office of UNESCO and the United Nations’ depository for global statistics in the fields of education, science and technology, culture and communication.
The Institute is an autonomous organization within UNESCO. This functional autonomy safeguards the Institute’s independence in developing and disseminating the accurate and policy-relevant data needed in today’s increasingly complex and changing social, political and economic environments.
The UIS has its own Governing Board that consists of 12 international experts, representing users and producers of statistics from different regions and international organizations.
The Board's primary tasks are to define UIS policy and broad functions, as well as to approve the yearly institutional programme and budget. The Board also monitors, evaluates and provides guidance on the Institute's operations.
UIS Governing Board members:
Members designated by UNESCO's Director-General:
- Ms Alice ALBRIGHT (USA), Chief Executive Officer of the Global Partnership for Education (2021)
- Ms Carol NUGA DELIWE (South Africa), Chief Director, Strategic Planning, Research and Coordination of the National Department of Basic Education (2021)
- Ms Annette SANTOS DEL REAL (Mexico), Director General of Centro de Estudios Educativos (2021)
- Ms Arevik ANAPIOSYAN (Armenia), Adjunct professor, American University of Armenia (2023)
- Ms Lynn BARR-TELFORD (Canada), Assistant Chief Statistician, Social, Health and Labour Statistics, Statistics Canada (2023)
- Mr Luis CROUCH (Dominican Republic), Senior Economist, International Development Group (IDG) of RTI (2023)
Members elected by the UNESCO General Conference:
- Mr Sobeeh A. ALMUKHAIZIM (Kuwait), Deputy Minister, Ministry of Higher Education (2021)
- Mr Dankert VEDELER* (Norway), Advisor, Ministry of Education and Research / Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2021)
- Mr Bin YANG (P.R. China), Vice President and Provost, Tsinghua University (2021)
- Mr Georgy OKSENOYT (Russian Federation), Director, International Statistics and Projects Department, Federal State Statistics Service (2023)
- Mr Juan Daniel OVIEDO ARANGO (Colombia), Chief Statistician of Colombia, National Statistics Office of Colombia (2023)
- Mr Andrew Rasugu Otachi RIECHI (Kenya), Senior Lecturer, Department of Educational Administration and Planning, University of Nairobi (2023)
*Mr Dankert VEDELER is the Chair of the Governing Board.
Former Chairs of the Governing Board:
- Ms Silvie MICHAUD (Canada) 2008-2019
- Mr Matthew SUDDERS (United Kingdom) 2016-2017
- Mr Lennart NORDSTRÖM (Sweden) 2014-2015
- Ms Grace BEDIAKO (Ghana) 2012-2013
- Mr Yvon FORTIN (Canada) 2008-2011
- Ms Heli JESKANEN-SUNDSTRÖM (Finland) 2007
- Mr Jean-Louis SARBIB (France) 2005-2006
- Mr Jozef M. RITZEN (Netherlands) 2000-2004