The UIS is the statistical office of UNESCO and the United Nations’ depository for global statistics in the fields of education, science and technology, culture and communication.
The Institute is an autonomous organization within UNESCO. This functional autonomy safeguards the Institute’s independence in developing and disseminating the accurate and policy-relevant data needed in today’s increasingly complex and changing social, political and economic environments.
The UIS has its own Governing Board that consists of 12 international experts, representing users and producers of statistics from different regions and international organizations.
The Board's primary tasks are to define UIS policy and broad functions, as well as to approve the yearly institutional programme and budget. The Board also monitors, evaluates and provides guidance on the Institute's operations.
UIS Governing Board members:
Members designated by UNESCO's Director-General:
- Ms Carol NUGA DELIWE (South Africa), Acting Deputy Director-General, Business Intelligence, National Department of Basic Education (2025)
- Ms Arevik ANAPIOSYAN (Armenia), Adjunct professor, American University of Armenia (2023)
- Ms Lynn BARR-TELFORD (Canada), Assistant Chief Statistician, Social, Health and Labour Statistics, Statistics Canada (2023)
- Mr Luis CROUCH (Dominican Republic), Senior Economist, International Development Group (IDG) of RTI (2023)
- Ms Ethel Agnes PASCUA-VALENZUELA (Philippines), Director, Secretariat of the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) (2025)
- Mr Dankert VEDELER (Norway), Advisor, Ministry of Education and Research / Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2025)
Members elected by the UNESCO General Conference:
- Mr Georgy OKSENOYT (Russian Federation), Director, International Statistics and Projects Department, Federal State Statistics Service (2023)
- Mr Juan Daniel OVIEDO ARANGO (Colombia), Chief Statistician of Colombia, National Statistics Office of Colombia (2023)
- Mr Andrew Rasugu Otachi RIECHI (Kenya), Senior Lecturer, Department of Educational Administration and Planning, University of Nairobi (2023)
- Mr Mohammed Saeed AL-MOHANNADI (Qatar), Director of Statistics Department, Planning and Statistics Authority (2025)
- Mr Tommi HIMBERG (Finland), Counsellor, Education and Science, Permanent Delegation of Finland to the OECD and UNESCO (2025)
- Mr Ariunbold SHAGDAR (Mongolia), Director of Census and data analysis department, National Statistical Office (2025)
Former Chairs of the Governing Board:
- Mr Dankert VEDELER (Norway) 2020-2021
- Ms Silvie MICHAUD (Canada) 2018-2019
- Mr Matthew SUDDERS (United Kingdom) 2016-2017
- Mr Lennart NORDSTRÖM (Sweden) 2014-2015
- Ms Grace BEDIAKO (Ghana) 2012-2013
- Mr Yvon FORTIN (Canada) 2008-2011
- Ms Heli JESKANEN-SUNDSTRÖM (Finland) 2007
- Mr Jean-Louis SARBIB (France) 2005-2006
- Mr Jozef M. RITZEN (Netherlands) 2000-2004