Open-ended intergovernmental working group in the framework of the global reflection on the listing mechanisms
© Authority for Research and Conservation of Cultural Heritage (ARCCH), Ethiopia, 2018
On 8 and 9 July 2021 (Part I) and on 9 and 10 September 2021 (Part II), States Parties to the 2003 Convention and observers were invited to participate in an Open-ended intergovernmental working group in the framework of the global reflection on the listing mechanisms of the 2003 Convention.
The Open-ended intergovernmental working group in the framework of the global reflection on the listing mechanisms of the 2003 Convention is comprised of two parts:
- Part I (online, a two day meeting on 8 and 9 July 2021): the working group discussed the recommendations of the Category VI meeting of experts in order to decide on a general direction to take for the reform of the listing system of the Convention (recordings available).
- Part II (online, a two day meeting on 9 and 10 September 2021): on the basis of Part I of the meeting, the working group agreed to recommend specific changes to be made in line with the general direction chosen in Part I, and adopted Recommendations to submit to the sixteenth session of the Committee (recordings available).
The working documents for Part I (8 and 9 July 2021) and Part II (9 and 10 September 2021) as well as the adopted set of Recommendations (LHE/21/16.COM WG/Recommendations) can be found below.
The sixteenth session of the Committee (UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, 13 to 18 December 2021) provided the opportunity for furthering intergovernmental discussions on this topic, and for proposing relevant revisions to the Operational Directives for possible adoption by the General Assembly in June/July 2022.
Chairperson: H.E. Mr Atsuyuki Oike (Japan)
Vice-Chairpersons: Germany, Poland, Peru, Côte d’Ivoire, Kuwait
- Recommendations of the Open-ended intergovernmental working group : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/Recommendations)
Consult the recordings
Part II - 9 and 10 September 2021
- Agenda and Timetable (Part II) : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/4)
- Summary of Part I and meeting objectives for Part II : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/5)
- Towards a reformed listing system (Part II): Transfer, removal and extension of elements inscribed on the Lists : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/6)
- Other issues requiring further reflection : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/7)
- Report to the Intergovernmental Committee : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/8)
- Ways forward : English/French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/8-Ways forward)
Consult the recordings
Part I - 8 and 9 July 2021
- Agenda and Timetable (Part I) : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/1)
- Progress to date and meeting objectives : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/2)
- Towards a reformed listing system : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/3)
- Report of the experts meeting (Category VI): English|French (LHE/21/EXP/7)
- General information : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM WG/INF.1)
- Recommendations of Part I of the Open-ended intergovernmental working group: English|French
- Summary Records of Part I : English|French (LHE/21/16.COM/INF.14.1)